Embassy of the Finland in the Republic of Latvia
The Finland embassy in Riga is located in the city center. The Embassy's working hours are from 08:30 to 12:00, 13:00 to 16:30 by local time. National Day is the 6th December.
Address of the embassy
The Finland embassy in Latvia is located at Kalpaka bulvaris 1 in Riga. The Embassy's postal code is LV 1605.
Tel.: +371 670 788 00
Fax: +371 670 788 14
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary posted to Latvia at the Finland embassy is His Excellency (H.E.) Mr. Olli Kantanen.
Ambassador of Finland to Latvia since 2014.
During her career Mr. Olli Kantanen has served in various capacities, among them:
- 2012 - 2014 Head of Unit for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Department for Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- 2009 - 2012 Vice Director, World Bank Coordinator, Unit for Development Financing Institutions, Department for Development Policy, Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- 2008 - 2009 Vice Director, Unit for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Department for Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- 2007 - 2008 Counsellor of the Office of Under-Secretary of State, Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- 2004 - 2007 Vice Director, Unit for EU Enlargement, Department of Europe, Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- 2001 - 2004First Secretary, Embassy of Finland, Tallinn;
- 1999 - 2001 Second Secretary, Embassy of Finland, Berlin.
Pictures of the embassy
About the embassy
The Embassy of Finland in Riga is part of the Finnish Foreign Office and its idea is to promote the implementation of Finnish national interests abroad and to protect the interests and rights of Finnish citizens. The Embassy in Riga works to develop and make more versatile international relations between Finland and Latvia.
The Embassy acts as the official channel between the Finnish and Latvian governments and, in the broadest sense, the Embassy is the representative of the Finnish government in Latvia. Among other things, the Embassy prepares and maintains contacts between the political and inter-institutional levels of Finland and Latvia, as well as facilitates mutual interaction and multilateral cooperation between national societies in various sectors. The Embassy follows the situation and informs Helsinki, for example, about Latvia's foreign, security, trade and internal policies, as well as about Latvia's overall development.
The Embassy in Latvia promotes the implementation of Finland's economic interests in Latvia and provides assistance to Finnish companies in their contacts with the Latvian authorities, if necessary.
The Embassy is pursuing Finland's goal-oriented development in Latvia, supporting Latvia's participation in the EU, adapting Latvia to EU integration, social integration and development, strengthening the rule of law principles, strengthening the Nordic-Baltic NB8 contacts, Baltic Sea Region cooperation, democracy, human rights and good governance. development.
The Embassy with its consulate services helps Finnish citizens in Latvia, for example, in case of loss of money or passport. Assistance is also often provided for services provided by the Finnish authorities in cases involving passports, compulsory military service, inheritance and notaries (link: consulate services for the traveler).