Do I need any documents to travel within the Schengen Area by plane?

F.A.Q. answer:
If you are travelling within the Schengen Area by plane you need a passport or a national ID card, as applicable. This procedure is not a form of border control, it is used to establish the identity of the passengers and to provide on-board security. While not legally required to perform visa checks for travel within the Schengen zone, it should be noted that some airline staff will ask to see a visa or residency documentation when travelling by air - this is not due to any legal requirements, but rather an issue of the procedures of particular airlines