Work in Latvia
Getting a job and working in Latvia is one of the reasons why one might want to acquire a residence permit in Europe (an example of this would be a residence permit in Latvia). Working in Latvia also allows you to enjoy all the benefits of residing in the EU, such as freedom of moving in the Schengen area, the chance to be employed and do business in the member-states with fewer requirement, as well as travel to European destinations without the need for a visa (with some exceptions).
As of now, there are approximately 29 704 vacancies available in Latvia. That is 3.2% of all the job positions, both occupied and vacant, in the country.
Wages and expenses
In Latvia the minimum wage is EUR 430, while the average salary is EUR 806.
A single person in Latvia spends an average of EUR 594 per month, not including rent.
The wages in Latvia differ based on several factors, such as the industry and gender of an employee:
|Mining and quarrying||1053||845|
|Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply||1124||1023|
|Water supply; sewerage, waste management and remediation activities||869||771|
|Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles||960||701|
|Transportation and storage||883||893|
|Accommodation and food service activities||646||572|
|Information and communication||1662||1211|
|Financial and insurance activities||2542||1591|
|Real estate activities||772||727|
|Professional, scientific and technical activities||1083||952|
|Administrative and support service activities||790||776|
|Public administration and defence; compulsory social security||1090||1069|
|Human health and social work activities||899||772|
|Arts, entertainment and recreation||879||700|
|Other service activities||759||667|
The standard workweek in Latvia is 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week.
Trade unions are organizations that protect the rights of workers, and help them settle potential disputes with employers. In Latvia, an employee may use the support pf the following unions:
- Latvian Trade Union of Education and Science Employees (Latvijas Izglītības un zinātnes darbinieku arodbiedrība)
- Railway Workers Trade Union (Latvijas Dzelzceļnieku arodbiedrība)
- Trade Union of Health and Social Care Employees of Latvia (Latvijas Veselības un sociālās aprūpes darbinieku arodbiedrība)
- Latvian Trade Union of Public Service and Transport Workers (Latvijas Sabiedrisko pakalpojumu un transporta darbinieku arodbiedrība LAKRS)
- Seafarers Union of Merchant Fleet (Latvijas Tirdzniecības flotes jūrnieku arodbiedrības)
- Trade Union Energija (Latvijas Arodbiedrība ‘Enerģija’)
- Latvian Industrial Workers Trade Union (Latvijas industriālo nozaru arodbiedrība)
- Communication Workers Trade Union (Latvijas Sakaru darbinieku arodbiedrība)
- Trade Union of Employees of State Institutions, Self-governments and Finance Sector (Latvijas Valsts iestāžu, pašvaldību, uzņēmumu un finansu darbinieku arodbiedrība)
- Forest Sphere Workers Trade Union of Latvia (Latvijas Meža nozaru arodu biedrība)
- Latvian Trade Union Federation for People Engaged in Cultural Activities (Latvijas kultūras darbinieku arodbiedrību federācija)
- Trade Union of Commerce (Latvijas Tirdzniecības arodbiedrība)
- Latvian Agriculture and Food Branch Trade Union (Latvijas Lauksaimniecības un pārtikas nozaru arodu biedrība)
- Water Transport Trade Union Federation (Latvijas Ūdens transporta arodbiedrību federācija)
- Latvian Road Workers Trade Union (Latvijas Ceļu darbinieku arodu apvienība)
- Latvian Builders Trade Union (Latvijas Celtnieku arodbiedrība)
- Nursing and Health Care Personnel Trade Union (Latvijas Ārstniecības un aprūpes darbinieku arodsavienība)
- Trade Union of Local Governments (Latvijas Pašvaldību darbinieku arodbiedrība)
- United Police Trade Union of Latvia (Latvijas Apvienotā policistu arodbiedrība)
- Federation of Trade Unions of Civil Aviation (Latvijas Aviācijas darbinieku arodbiedrību federācija)
If you are planning to work in Latvia, it is useful to know the following information and contacts of organizations.
If you believe your rights have been violated or would like to have a consultation regarding said rights, you can contact Free Trade Union Confederation of Latvia (Latvijas Brīvo arodbiedrību savienība).
Looking for work
If you would like to take a look at Latvia's job market, please, consider visiting the following resources:
Work permit services
If you are interested in working in Latvia, you need to obtain a work permit and a residence permit (which in some cases are obtained simultaneously). For this you can use the help of our legal team - we provide consultations, find the best solutions to your unique case and deliver legal assisstance of all kinds. So contact us by using the form on the upper right side of the page, and start a journey to your dream job in Latvia.